Friday, April 16, 2010

WILDFIRE POTTERY - Featured artist of the week


In the offline world Wildfire Pottery is located on Cape Breton Island in Nova Scotia, Canada. My name is Sarah Beck and I make all the pottery you see here.
  This little raku owl was made by me, in my studio in Cape Breton. I make each owl by hand, without using moulds, so they are all different. Some of them look pensive, some happy or eager and others look lonely! They have little balls of clay inside which rattle when you shake them.
The owls are approximately 4 1/2 x 3 1/2" and are signed on the bottom by me.

Have a look at my blog for the inspiration for these owls!
My raku pieces are bisque fired once to make them hard, then glazed and fired again in an outdoor kiln. When the pieces are red hot I pull them out of the kiln with tongs allowing the glazes to crackle while cooling for a very short time in the air or sometimes on the ground if I want more crackle. I then put them in a metal container filled with newspaper which bursts into flames, blackening all the areas I haven't glazed with smoke and darkening the crackle lines. I then put a lid on the container which in a nutshell starves the fire of oxygen so it takes the oxygen from the glaze leaving a range of copper colours behind. (That's a pretty basic explanation of a complicated process, but who needs complicated?!) Every piece is different some have more crackle, some less, but all are unique.
http://www.facebook.com/wildfirepottery.ca#!/wildfirepottery.ca?v=info

3 comments:

Courtney said...

Oh my gosh, those owls are really the best! I would love to keep one on my desk.

Monica said...

Aren't they cute ?

wildfirepottery said...

What a nice surprise!! Thanks so much for featuring my work. The owls rattle if you shake them...I've been thinking of adding a sound clip to the listing! :)
Thanks again,

Sarah (Of Wildfire Pottery)