Saturday, April 24, 2010

A troubled night

Last night I woke up so scared ... The whole house was shaking and a terrible rumbling was all over; I jumped from the bed ready to wake up everybody and pick the junior. Then I realized that is just a summer thunderstorm, right on top of us, but I guess the memories of all the terrifying earthquakes that I've been through are still there, in some dark corner of my brain....when the surviving instinct is telling you to run for your life, when the whole world is collapsing around you, the seconds seems terribly long, and when it's over, the silence around you is out of this world. I still hear those screams, seconds later, the darkness, the collapsed building in front of me and that hysterical young woman looking for her baby. You cannot get rid of these memories, no matter what you do. This is what came to my mind last night, first thing. Troubled night....

3 comments:

sapone bolla soapy blog said...

omg I'm so sorry. I hate to tell you this but thunderstorms are pretty common down South. Where where you in an earthquake?

Monica said...

Debbie, I was in Bucharest on the 7.4 Richter scale in '77, and then the rest of them mostly about 6 - 6.5 ... Romania is right on the conjuction of two tectonic plates, and Bucharest is about 140 miles from the epicenter, but right on the line of the waves.

sapone bolla soapy blog said...

OOh did you ever find a lovely place to be. I used to know a lady from Romania. There were much scarier things there than earthquakes, not that they weren't scary enough.